10 things the government needs to know about your new small business

A legitimate business has essentially satisfied all the criteria set by relevant authorities

Before your business idea becomes a legally recognized startup, an assortment of federal regulations, registrations, licenses, and permits must be complied with.

Granted that different forms of business exist, all with varying requirements, having a clear overall picture of what’s required will save you much time and effort.

Get ready to share details about the following:

1. Your business structure


A partnership is one of the business structures you can opt for.

Government needs to know the form your new small business will take as this will inform its legal accountability and type of taxation. Some of the different business structures you may wish to consider include sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability company (LLC), and corporation.

2. Your business name

Display it loud and bold if it is legal

A registered business name implies that your startup is legally operational, in addition to being a prerequisite for receiving financial assistance from the government.

3. Is your business activity federally regulated?

To run this sort of business you’ll need a permit from the FDA.

If your new small business intends to deal with product/s or activity that is under the supervision of a federal agency you will need to obtain the required federal license or permit. This will be the case if you aspire to deal in the following and more:

4. Is the new small business tax compliant?

Tax compliance is vigorously pursued by government…

It’s certainly prudent to be fully aware of your new startup’s federal tax obligations. Lots of information is available to this effect; this checklist and these guidelines should be a nice place to start.

Note that there are two types of federal tax registrations.

Employer Identification Number (EIN) – This is a requirement for corporations, LLCs, partnerships, and sole proprietorships that intend to hire employees. Get the requisite Form SS-4 from the IRS.

S Corporation Tax Form – This is applicable for corporations that wish to attain S corporation status for special tax treatment purposes. Form 2553 is required and is also obtained from the IRS website.

5. How well does the new small business handle employee affairs?

How the boss and the team relate is of concern to government.

Hiring and dealing with employee affairs can be quite tricky; you basically need a good grasp of federal labor and employment laws. The SBA provides a wealth of hiring and employee information.

Also, registering with E-Verify will allow you to establish your employees’ employment eligibility.

6. Does the business have proper insurance coverage?

Government needs to know that businesses are adequately insured seeing as workplaces can be quite hazardous…

One of the preconditions for starting a new small business is obtaining adequate insurance coverage .

Not just any cover will do though; your type of business determines what form this insurance coverage will take.

Additionally, the business ought to have health insurance coverage in place, including the Small Business Health Options Program.

7. Is the new startup compliant with location and equipment regulations?

How many different regulations had to be complied with before this operation got going?

An assortment of regulations determines how small businesses should go about matters to do with location, zoning, leasing business equipment, and leasing commercial space, etc.

These resources from the SBA will shed more light on these issues.

8. Is your new startup conversant with business laws?

Advertising, like other facets of business, is governed by laws and regulations…

There are roughly a dozen business laws and regulations that you need to be aware of as a new small business owner; with some basic knowledge you’ll at least be able to handle various business obligations from an informed point of view.

These laws cover aspects of advertising and marketing, employment and labor, finance, intellectual property, online business, privacy, financial contracts, and so on.

The SBA offers more information about these laws.

9. How environmentally-conscious is your business?

The EPA is most likely going to be pleased with this setup…

Depending on the nature of your new small business you may need to secure some form of licensing from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Find out more about what is required at http://www.epa.gov/smallbusiness.

10. In case it’s home-based…

Government also has rules for work-at-home guys.

This SBA guide offers information about what is required of home-based new small business owners.



  1. Wow. It seems like starting a business involves a lot of paper works. Well, that’s to be expected then, pretty sure it’s worth it if everything is clear and good to go. People can be confident that you are legitimate.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s